* In 1950 the royal decree No. 496 was issued to establish a consultant council for the universities, presided by the minister of Education to :
* Coordinate between universities concerning the education system, examinations, and academic degrees.
* Create professorships and manage equivalence of foreign certificates, academic promotion and other related issues.
* In 1954 the presidential decree No. 508 was issued to reorganize the Egyptian Universities and to establish "The Supreme Council of Universities"
* The supreme council of universities held its first meeting on 2nd. October, 1954, including Cairo University, Alexandria University, and Ainshams University. The meeting was presided by Prof. Mohamed Kame Morsi , President of Cairo University.
* Then a series of laws were issued to re-organize the universities in several successive laws which are law no. (345) for 1956 and the presidential decree no (184) for 1958 and other successive laws, most recently No. (49) For the year 1972 to promote the autonomy of the Egyptian Universities and to establish "the supreme council of universities" located in Cairo and entrusted with planning the general policy for the university education and scientific research and coordinating various activities among the universities adaptable to that law.
The constitution of the Supreme Council of Universities:
The Supreme Council of Universities presided over by the Minister of Higher Education appointed by a Presidential decree, and the membership of:-
* Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Universities.
* The Egyptian state universities' Presidents (23 universities).
* Five members at most experienced in university education and public affairs assigned for two renewable years by a decree of the Minister of Higher Education including the Minister of Education and Minister of Scientific Research .
2- Duties and responsibilities of the SCU:
* Outlining and planning the general policies and guidelines for higher education and scientific research in universities, with a strong commitment to realize the State’s needs and to meet its national, social, economic, and scientific purposes.
* Facilitating, through coordination, the educational processes, exams, and academic degrees in universities.
* Coordinating among faculties& institutes and corresponding departments in universities.
* Designation and creation of different professorships specializations.
* Coordinating among the academic staff through promotion system.
* Organizing students' admission policy in universities and determining their annual number.
* Outlining the technical, financial, and administrative regulations related to the Special Research Units in the universities.
* Setting down the executive bylaws of universities and the internal regulations of faculties and institutes.
* Setting down the system related to the university performance assessment and improvement.